Connect with us

1000V high side gate drive

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by mook Johnson, Mar 8, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mook Johnson

    mook Johnson Guest


    I'm looking for a high side IGBT gate driver for use with a 1000V bus
    voltage. I prefer something like an IR2110 but it is only rated for 600V.

    Anything else out there besides gate drive transformers?

    This is for a 3 phase AC induction motor inverter PWM switched at 10 -
  2. John  Larkin

    John Larkin Guest

    Optoisolate, into a floating gate driver powered by a small dc/dc
    converter, maybe. Or use one of those slick ADuM series logic
    isolators, good for 5 KV.

    Didn't HP/Agilent/Agere have some parts like that, too?

  3. What's wrong with something like the IR2213?

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  4. Hi Mook,
    Why not Gate transformers? The nice small ethernet transformers works great.

  5. Mook Johnson

    Mook Johnson Guest

    I didn't know IR made a 1200V high side gte driver. Last time I checked,
    they only carried 600V models.

  6. Mook Johnson

    Mook Johnson Guest

    Most of the ate transformers I've seen require 50KHz operation or higher. I
    didn't want to switch that high to minimize switching losses. I don't care
    if the motor whistles, no one will hear it.
  7. Mook Johnson

    Mook Johnson Guest

    Good idea, I will look into these. I guess I could use the same bootstrap
    circuit used on the ir2110 and charge a cap through a diode when the low
    side FET is on then use that cap as a floating supply.
  8. They've been making 1200V parts for at least 8 years, and they
    include in their lineup complete three-phase chips (six drivers).
    The difficulty used to be finding distributor stock. DigiKey
    now has stock on the IR2130, IR2131, IR2132, IR2135 and IR2137.
    Some are available in 28-pin DIP packages.
  9. John  Larkin

    John Larkin Guest

    Or buy a dip or sip $8 dc/dc converter.

  10. Hi Mook,
    If you spent the gate unit a little more than only the transformators
    windings then you will be able to switch a few Hz. I do this from near 0 Hz
    up to a few 100 kHz across a 5 kV barrier, OK here I don't use ethernet
    transformers, but for 1 kV they are OK easy available and cheap.

    A very nice Appnote is AN461/0194 from ST. May be it is not exactly what you
    need, but the ideas behind this paper should lead you to a good solution.
    A good idea may also be the AN-950 from International rectifier.

  11. Genome

    Genome Guest

    I'm not going to bother looking myself but Unitrode came up with some
    transformer coupled frequency modulated power/pwm transmission system for
    IGBT drive type stuff.

    TI bought them so if it is still made then......

    Actually I will.... Here you go

    UC3727..... New Chip Pair Provides Isolated Drive for High Voltage IGBTs

    Whoops, link doesn't work.

    Bum, anyway...... If they still make it you might find it.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day