Maker Pro
Maker Pro

100 Watt led driver question

Gregted

Sep 21, 2016
G'day all.

I bought some 100 watt leds and a driver board to suit. I must say these are awesome. It is capable of 3.5 amps but I am running it at 1 amp as I can't seem to find anything about a safe operating temp, so only 30 odd watts but still amazing amount of light.

The only thing I want to do is run a potentiometer in series with either the amp or voltage adjustment pot to allow me to turn the light up or down once the max amps or voltage is set.

I have attached some pics of the boost converter with the blue trim pots visible.

I have also attached a pic of the basic circuit for led adjustment and how I have tried to set max current and have brightness adjustment but this doesn't work.

It's probably a common circuit but I can't get my head around it.

Any help appreciated.

Greg

Attachments

• Led-brightness-adjustment.png
    Led-brightness-adjustment.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Led driver.jpg
    Led driver.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 98

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The only thing I want to do is run a potentiometer in series with either the amp or voltage adjustment pot to allow me to turn the light up or down once the max amps or voltage is set.
Theoretically possible, but the high power pots required are hard to find, expensive and will cause a lot of uselessly dissipated power (unless you plan to heat your appartment during cold nights :D).
The LED driver you show has integrated pots (trom pots) for setting the current (cc-sdj) plus another one where the label is not readable. I suggest you replace the cc-adj pot by an external pot of the same value so you can adjust the current and therewith brightness using this external pot. As the driver is obviously a switch mode driver, this external pot will vary the ducty cycle (pulse/period ratio) of the LED current, thus avoiding unnecessary power loss.