Maker Pro
Maker Pro

0 to 3 volt variable a\c signal generator

Gquist

Mar 11, 2015
Hello Everyone, I found this forum on my search for a problem, Here it is,

I am looking to build a ignition coil tester for the purpose of testing car ignition coils under load while on the bench, Most newer cars use a single coil for each cylinder and they can break down under higher RPM's and that makes it hard to duplicate while the car is in the service bay.
What I was hoping to do and keep the project simple is use a GM ignition module for the switching voltage, these already have the necessary components built into them to power a car ignition coil and simply need 12 volts DC for power and to be mounted on some metal for a heat sink.
The part I need help with is the trigger signal that causes the module to switch, On the cars it is simply a pickup coil of wire that magnets pass by to create the 0-5 volt a\c signal and cause the module to switch power to the coil.
I would like to have this circuit variable to test the coils at various rpm ranges so I can visually watch the spark from the ignition coil jump across a large gap and load the coil, bad ones will arc internally in that situation and be visible by sound and noise. Any ideas? Thank You!

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Presumably the trigger pulse will be shorter at high speeds so you should have a circuit which will change the repetition rate and pulse width.

Al my data is put away at the moment but I suggest that you should look at a 555 oscillator. There are many people here who love these venerable chips. Define the pulse width and frequency range that you need.