Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I want to make a speed limiter for my motorcycle

Ducatimonster

Jul 2, 2023
That's for you to work out as there are many ways depending on your motorcycle setup.
Suffice to say there would be litterally thousands of Arduino projects out there on how to tap the rpm.
Once you find one, you adapt the circuit and the sketch to suit your requirements.
No one is going to do your work for you and then say here ya go snowflake, thanks for coming.
I showed an easy way to kill the ignition without being intrusive on any existing pcb gear.
Suggestion for detecting rpm might be wrap a wire around one spark lead and go from there with the Arduino and relay output.
I'm a beginner, i don't know much about electronics only the basics i did some research and i'm gonna try a circuit. thanks

Ducatimonster

Jul 2, 2023
The purpose of the rev limiter i want is not for over engine speed that can damage the engine but for security measures because my brother just got his permit and to be safe, want him to stay at low rpm as he is still learning.
Thanks.
The whole idea of a rev limiter on any motorcycle used for everyday commuting is just plain ludcris.
Rev limiters are used in situations where engine revs continually approach critical piston speed as in GrandPrix racing and the operator has their attention on near maximum performance for hours on end.
No time to be distracted by continually looking down at rev guages.
In fact anything that automatically cuts power to an engine in domestic use would be considered a safety issue.

Ducatimonster

Jul 2, 2023
Post # 24 is way to go becuse you avoid the HV of spark plug wire. Do you
have a scope so you can look at signal from crank sensor that goes to CDI
to trigger the spark ?

Note whatever way you do this you can use rate of change sensing in code
to see if RPM is going to become excessive even though its not there yet.
By this I mean if RPM is on a ramp, say 1000 rpm over 1 secs, and you are
at 4000 RPM, say the limit is 7,000 rpm, then in 3 secs you will be at limit.
So you dont have to be at limit to know you are going to hit limit. This
helps in managing delays in the design due to inertia, time to measure RPM
(eg. frequency of trigger signal to CDI, the "gate" time over which you count
pulses to comute frequency), etc..

Regards, Dana.
Great idea, i will try a circuit i made and think how to implent this idea.
Thanks.

Ducatimonster

Jul 2, 2023
View attachment 63045

Here's a snippet from the Arduino forum .
If the duty cycle is fixed you can just use the pulseIn() function to measure the length of the pulse. From that you can calculate everything else.
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/PulseIn 36
#define MICROSECONDS_PER_MINUTE (60UL*1000000UL)
#define PULSES_PER_REVOLUTION 128 /* You'll have to figure this out */
int rpm(int inputPin) {
unsigned long pulseLength = pulseIn(inputPin, HIGH); // Microseconds per pulse
pulseLength = (pulseLength * 100) / 30; // Convert from 30% to 100%
unsigned long pulseRate = MICROSECONDS_PER_MINUTE / pulseLength; // Pulses per minute
return pulseRate / PULSES_PER_REVOLUTION
By the way I strongly suggest you ask your questions on all about circuits! They have an order of magnitude more members than this site. They are consummate professionals unlike myself... as you can clearly tell...I am not alone.
View attachment 63043
RPM limiter, speed limiter, title of your thread? Are you open to other suggestions?
Yes thanks for the insight i'll see what i can do.
Thanks.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The purpose of the rev limiter i want is not for over engine speed that can damage the engine but for security measures because my brother just got his permit and to be safe, want him to stay at low rpm as he is still learning.
Thanks.
Wrong approach....check what most countries enforce for learners and those with less than 2 years riding experience.
I can assure you it's not sticking a rev limiter on a Ducati.
Here's the thing....I've heard all the excuses before and none are viable.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
What would your concerns be if it was a speed limiter and a rpm
limiter, taking into account tire size, etc.... ? Seems sensible to me,
go cart tracks for wannabe consumers do that. Been doing engines
since 1800's....

1710496997862.png

So op would have to also detect tire revs, coupled with diameter/circumference
and should not be too difficult to do....and engine gets rpm limits, not such
a bad idea. Unloaded engine, wide open throttle, recipe for disaster.

Could even add a tilt accelerometer to it and using AI moderate what the kid could do.
Of course the algorithms(s) for that probably pretty complex......but interesting.....
GPS to detect if kid running away from parents to the RPM limiter disassembly shop.........:)

T sensor if bike in a condition no air flow but lots of revs.... Oil Pressure sensor
for the obvious, kids heart rate, its all good.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
I see a couple of things here: A motorcycle speed limiter is NOT an engine rpm limiter and they have been used with no distinction here, at least in the responses I glanced...
A speed limiter takes a governor driven from a wheel. A rpm limiter takes a governor taken from a crankshaft. Different animals, as mechanical or electric controls. You could have the best control and won't work downhill with engine idling. The task needs to be reformulated to exactly what is intended.
'Locking' the throttle cable as an idea does not control anything downhill or in certain gear.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
A motorcycle speed limiter is NOT an engine rpm limiter
Correct !

A speed limiter takes a governor driven from a wheel.
Or a GPS solution.....or a radar solution....or a .......

You could have the best control and won't work downhill with engine idling.
Of course one could solve that with even clutch removing engine state involvement.....
Braking control.....

Post 46 is just ideas one could consider. One could even release a parachute if bike
flying off cliff (like the roofer solutions already being offered)......or submerged and
a positive buoyancy air bag released.....so many ideas, so little time :)

Regards, Dana.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
A speed limiter takes a governor driven from a wheel. A rpm limiter takes a governor taken from a crankshaft
Post 46 is just ideas one could consider. One could even release a parachute if bike
flying off cliff (like the roofer solutions already being offered)......or submerged and
a positive buoyancy air bag released.....so many ideas, so little time

1710563992490.png
I love off-road dirt bike racing; because I go balls out! I am the governor. All you have to do is toggle a momentary tactile switches to choose from stock, (factory settings) mellow or my favorite berserker(aggressive) settings. https://www.dirtbikeholidays.com/post/understanding-dirt-bike-mapping-switches
He named himself Ducati monster for a reason .

Last edited: