Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Samsung Galaxy A30 dead phone

max_torch

Feb 9, 2014
Immediate observation:

I am unable to turn on my Samsung Galaxy A30. Dead Phone.

Event leading up to problem:

The phone was at 10% battery life when I plugged it into the charger and I left it for about an hour. When I came back the phone was dead and there is no "Charging status indication" on the screen, which it usually displays onscreen when plugged into the charger, even if the phone has run out of battery.

Previous phone damage and repair history:

3 months prior, in a fit of rage I threw the phone onto a tile floor, resulting in slight deformation of the frame in the corner that hit the ground and broken screen. I ordered a new screen and replaced the old one. At the time I did not realize that I could also buy a replacement frame/s, which I should have done, but now the phone is put together with a slight deformation of the frame. It worked after the repair and had been working up until now, 3 months later.

What I've tried so far but didn't work:
  • That thing where you hold volume up/volume down + power button for some time while the phone is plugged to the charger, or after it was left connected to the charger for half an hour.
  • Exchanged the old battery with a replacement battery for the unit, exact same battery model
  • Disconnect and reconnect the screen connector flex cable.
  • Tried using a different charger and USB charging cable
What should I and can I do now? If there is additional detail or information I should provide just ask me and ill add it here.

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Possibilities are many.
You’ll need to open it.
I would first check the charging port (usb?) for good connections to the board.
After that, you’ll Probably be better to view some phone repair videos on YouTube for more in depth options.
You WILL need a good magnifier!. The components are tiny!.
A microscope would be better..

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I would first check the charging port (usb?) for good connections to the board.
Can often be done without opening the phone by wriggling the USB connector (cable side) while the cable is plugged into a charger. A little USB tester (example) comes in handy for testing in this case.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, those USB volt/Amp testers are very useful.
I use mine all the time.

Martin

max_torch

Feb 9, 2014
I have no problem opening the phone since I already had to open it previously when I replaced the screen.

Just a visual and tactile inspection of the USB connector? I'm supposed to use a continuity tester to confirm its connection to the board?