plenty of 60's, 70's
Pink Floyd at the top
Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Neil Diamond, Deep Purple, CCR, Phil Collins
Queen, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles

and a dozen more :)

Dave

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I think @davenn pretty much hit the nail on the head with that list. As said, dozens more too. I am 52 and would add 80s to the list.
I’ve been enjoying freeview channel Now 80s while soldering and tinkering.
During the 80s and 90s, I ran a successful mobile disco. So my music taste is truly universal. I still have all my vinyl records too. Approx 15000.

But for internet music (or noise), a chap on Yourube uses floppy disk drives and HDDs about 100 of them.

Martin

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

@Martaine2005 , Yes, I do know the funny music fron the Floppotron.
I am 60 and do enjoy a lot of music genres.
I have about 500 CD's at home, varying from old syntesizer music from Kirato and Tomita to all kinds of classic music.
Here are some artists:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=murray+perahia
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yehudi+menuhin
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kitaro
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tomita
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kate+bush
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=andrea+bocelli

Bertus

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
The early 90's : Didn't like any music, most of it I considered noise.
After mid 90's : Discovered Trance music and got completely hooked. Sadly nobody around me understood and just think it was weird.
first part of the 2000 : Found the Nightwish band and got completely hooked.

narkeleptk

Oct 3, 2019
I listen to way too much Coheed & Cambria. If not that then classical piano and violin.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Now there's a question.
I have very broad taste in music including Classical, R&B, bit of Punk, Instrumental, Soul, Reggae and much more.
Don't like country music or the modern idiom.
A lot of my taste is buried in the 60's and 70's and some of the 80's.
Bands I like: The Stones. Fleetwood Mac, The Who, The Kinks, The Searchers, The Yardbirds (From whence Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck came), ABBA,
The La's, The Beach Boys, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Dave Brubeck, R.E.M., Mike and the Mechanics, Elvis Costello, The Shadows (I played in a Shadows tribute band many years ago). I could go on and on.

Classical Composers: Prokofiev, Particularly his Romeo and Juliet score, Elgar, Holst, Saint Saens, Liszt, Handel, Kachaturian, Sibeleus, Grieg, Dimitri Shostakovich (you must listen to his piano concerto No 2), plus many more.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Not the cr#p played at high volume in the workshop at work by the young guys who can't tell the difference between music and noise!

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Here is a real life version of one of the instruments that I posted from animusic:

Bertus

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
I came across this duo just surfing utube for music. They are an extremely talented pair of young musicians who use utube to play their music. Following the links from this utube I found a whole lot of excellent acoustic pop rock folk renderings by a bunch of young musicians
Reina del Cid and Toni Lindgren

Last edited:

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
I really like this rocked up version of a classic by Leonard Cohen. (Well all of his are classics!)
First We take Manhatton.

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
As this is an electronics forum, we have to pay homage to Joe Meek, one of the early innovating music engineers and producers over here in the UK just before and during the big Brit pop explosion early 60's . Extremely influential with his recording techniques, not only with his tape techniques but also his mic and guitar effects units. The Joe Meek compressor is an expensive bit of kit still sold today. Whether or not it merits its rather extravagant price probably depends on if you have backing from a record company I would think!

Anyway, Shane Fenton and the Fentones hit, I'm a Moody Guy from way back in 1961 (Yes, I was there!) was very influential in my interest in electronics with the sound and tone of the guitar. Possibly tape echo with a spring reverb?

Rock On, Joe!

Last edited:

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
And possibly Joe Meeks biggest hit. From 1962, Telstar, to celebrate the launch of the first communications satellite between the UK and USA. I remember watching the commissioning and first link up of Telstar live on TV here in the UK. It took quite a bit of knob twiddling to get the thing fired up. Very adventurous on live TV. But they got there in the end and look at the comms industry nowadays!! Something that I'm sure kids of today take completely for granted.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
A friend of mine that I have know since infants school, is a musician who plays drums and bass (not at the same time) and did some session work for Joe. He reckons that it was all done in an old 3 story house with the "studio" on the top floor which was the bit that he rented from the old lady that owned it.
He was a bit of an odd ball by all accounts. Backing singers would often work standing on the stair case between floors. It was also not unusual to see names from the period at the house.
Joe could neither read or write music and had to hum the tune for Telstar to one of his cohorts after have the tune rattle around his head for a few days. No doubting that it was a good tune though.

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
If one looks at Joe Meek's Wiki entry it tells of his mental illness which sadly resulted in his and his landlady's death. A sad loss of this pioneering person.

Last edited:

TCSC47

Mar 7, 2016
As this is an electronics forum, we have to pay homage to Joe Meek, one of the early innovating music engineers and producers over here in the UK just before and during the big Brit pop explosion early 60's . Extremely influential with his recording techniques, not only with his tape techniques but also his mic and guitar effects units. The Joe Meek compressor is an expensive bit of kit still sold today. Whether or not it merits its rather extravagant price probably depends on if you have backing from a record company I would think!

Anyway, Shane Fenton and the Fentones hit, I'm a Moody Guy from way back in 1961 (Yes, I was there!) was very influential in my interest in electronics with the sound and tone of the guitar. Possibly tape echo with a spring reverb?

Rock On, Joe!

And Rock On, Bernard Jewry, aka Shane Fenton, aka Alvin Stardust, sadly missed.

Last edited:

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Have just re-discovered a piece by Percy Grainger 1882 to 1961,an English composer, called Handel in the Strand. Originally called Clog Dance but the composer changed it. It is really jaunty little piece of music of just over 4 mins' long and gets me grinning from ear to ear. There are many arrangements of it out there. Below are links to just two of them.

Enjoy