Maker Pro
Maker Pro

WheatStone bridge

Dabu

Mar 25, 2018
Recently i studied the wheatstone bridge in me physics book in class but i could not understand it properly. I asked the teacher about my confusion but he also dont know. i have posted the picture of topic(wheatstone bridge). My question is ;
1.Why current I1 is following through point A to D in loop ADBA.
2.Why current I2 is following through point D to C in loop DCBD.

My confusion is that why current are following through these two paths. As current always flow through level of a higher potential to a level of lower potential but here it seems opposite.

Attachments

• IMG_20180819_160419.jpg
    IMG_20180819_160419.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 50

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So you understand that there are 4 current paths from C to A, and that at any time only 2 or 3 of them are active?

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Essentially, 13.27 at the bottom of the page says it all.

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
My confusion is that why current are following through these two paths.
This question suggests an unfamiliarity with the method of mesh current analysis. Suffice it to say that mesh currents are not real currents but merely an analysis tool for deriving the equations that govern a circuit's operation. The other prime method for deriving circuit equations is node voltage analysis, except in this case the node voltages are the real voltages. If your physics book has a section describing mesh current analysis method, study it.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Recently i studied the wheatstone bridge in me physics book in class but i could not understand it properly. I asked the teacher about my confusion but he also dont know. i have posted the picture of topic(wheatstone bridge). My question is ;
1.Why is current I1 present through point A to D in loop ADBA.

Because that is the direction defined by I1. The total current is I3 - I1 . Since I3 is greater than I1, the total current direction will be from point D to point A.

2.Why is current I2 is present through point D to C in loop DCBD.

Same type of answer as above. You have to consider the total current, which includes I3.

My confusion is that why current are following through these two paths. As current always flow through level of a higher potential to a level of lower potential but here it seems opposite.

Yes, higher voltage to lower voltage is the mathematical convention for current direction. But, don't forget to take the total current into consideration.

By the way, charge does not flow twice. Current flow means "charge flow flow". You should instead say current is present, current exists, or charge flow.

Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
This question suggests an unfamiliarity with the method of mesh current analysis. Suffice it to say that mesh currents are not real currents but merely an analysis tool for deriving the equations that govern a circuit's operation. The other prime method for deriving circuit equations is node voltage analysis, except in this case the node voltages are the real voltages. If your physics book has a section describing mesh current analysis method, study it.

I aver that calculated mesh current does represent the real current that is present in a particular mesh.

Ratch

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
I aver that calculated mesh current does represent the real current...
Of course, you would. But you can only make that statement after having done the mesh analysis and solved the circuit equations. One might find that the mesh current flows in the opposite direction of the real current.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Of course, you would. But you can only make that statement after having done the mesh analysis and solved the circuit equations. One might find that the mesh current flows in the opposite direction of the real current.

I did specify calculated current in my remark above. Anyway, the calculated mesh current will always give the "real" current direction according to the mathematical convention to which all ammeters are marked. If a negative current is encountered in the calculations, it means that the assumed direction is opposite to the mathematical convention. Then, the assumed direction is simply reversed.

Ratch

mrinal

Aug 23, 2019
I m also confused with the same thing, like in below figure
Wheatstone-bridge.png

I know that at balance point the current will be same in R1, R2 and in R3,R4 and the current through ammeter will zero. but no body explains why the current through ameter is zero at one point of time, I means current should always flow through the ammeter even in smaller amount. If there is resistance in ammeter, which obviously it should have, then there would be voltage drop and the current should flow. Then how it is possible to achieve the balance point.
May be I have missed something, but i couldn't find the answer. Above image is taken from this Wheatstone bridge and they also just said that "at balance point this will happen...." but why??

iimagine

Oct 23, 2013
In order for current to flow, there must be a difference in voltage. Since both junctions are at the same voltage current cannot flow. It does not matter what resistance is in between.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
To iimagine:
"Current flow" means "charge flow flow" which is redundant and ridiculous. Don't use technical slang when explaining a precise concept. You should instead say current exists, or current is present, or charge flow, or sometimes just plain current. It reduces the confusion and bemusement of the gleaning from the meaning of the word.
Ratch

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@Ratch , he didn’t say “current flow”.
He said “for current to flow”.
If ‘current’ by itself meant ‘current flow’ it would be one word ‘currentflow’.
However, current to flow, or charge to flow is acceptable in the English language.
I think pedantic comes to mind. Afterall, we know what it is.

Martin

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Martaine2003,
You cannot have current without something flowing (water, charge, syrup, etc) Therefore, "current to flow" is as redundant as "current flow". "Charge to flow" is OK, but "current to flow" is not. Knowing what something means even if it is presented wrong is gauche. Ever see a astronaut "walk" in space? Not much traction, is there?

Ratch

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@Ratch
I know technically you are correct.
But you have to remember that this is not a physics forum. Every member here is probably guilty of answering an OP question by "current flow"..
This is a 'help' forum. And we

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
@Ratch
I know technically you are correct.
But you have to remember that this is not a physics forum. Every member here is probably guilty of answering an OP question by "current flow"..
This is a 'help' forum. And we
Don't stop now.

You can be Lord Byron the poet and say "The stream flowed through the meadow."
Or you can be be Sir Isaac Newton and say "A stream exists in the meadow".
I believe the more technical approach is appropriate for this forum.

Wouldn't it be clearer if the OP said something like this below without the "current flow phraseology"?

"... and the current will be zero, but nobody explains why the current is zero at this one point in time. I mean, current should always be present even in a small amount. Obviously there is some resistance in the ammeter, therefore a voltage drop exists, and a current should be present. ..."

Ratch

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@Ratch I really want to say that you have too much time on your hands. You can hi-light a physics question and tell the forum they are wrong.
Current flow in the physics world is incorrect.
However, current being a quantity, can flow.
So, the current to flow (quantity) is acceptable. IMHO.