Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Singer Futura 1000 Sewing Machine

chinagreen36

Apr 26, 2011
After 40 years my wifes machine has packed up and she is devastated! The foot control is working and when the motor is out it runs fine and speed variation is good. Reconnect and replace and all I get is loudish 50 cycle rumble and the trip pops out. Any ideas please??
There is, it seems to me a supply from the motor to a) the lamp and b) a transformer presumably to power the electronic board. If I disconnect them the machine runs perfectly but of course it will not change sewing design.

Last edited:

LoL

May 29, 2013
This is kind of late answer but I think the solution might be helpful for somebody. My wifes Singer Futura 1000 had exactly the same problem.

I figured out that the brumm was due 11V AC on top of 24V DC and thats why some solenoid was rocking. :) So after checking rectifiers decoupling capacitors I noticed that one of the large 5500uF/25V capacitors had short. It is quite a normal problem with old electronics that electrolyte capacitor gets shorted.

(Rectifier: diode bridge. You can access it by removing the cover from top of the machine)
(You can access the decoupling capacitors by removing the plastic cover from the bottom.)

Confirm with your multimeter which capacitor is shorted and just replace it. I did not had 5500uF capacitor at hand so I used 3x1000uF's with no problem. Maybe better consider to replace both with polyester caps since they last way longer than electrolytes.

After changing the broken capacitor the sewing machine is working again.. and wife is happy.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Thanks for the information.

I hope it can still help chinagreen36, but if it can't, perhaps it can help someone else.

chinagreen36

Apr 26, 2011
Futura Sewing Machine

Thanks so much for the "late" response. A very king thought...my wife's machine is still going strong after the previous ministrations...it is so long ago now I cannot remember the action I took except the machine being in 'bits' all over the kitchen table.

Steve, will remember the fault on the Yamaha Piano...it is still going strong and I am learning to play it now!!
Chinagreen

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
wow ... knock me over with a feather ;)

chinagreen36, welcome back and nice to know you are still around :)
Steve and I didnt really expect to see you respond since you havent posted anything in over 2 years

Dave

chinagreen36

Apr 26, 2011
Catching Up

Aah...I was logged in as "dirtycontact" last year...corresponding with Steve on the Yamaha electronic piano.
Best wishes.
D.C.

Vania

Jun 14, 2019
Hi there, I’m new to this forum and the question that I have is... is there a layout for the inside of my Futura 1000 and where can I find parts for my machine. I live in Amsterdam and I have been searching the Internet.
My machine stopped working and I decided to fix it myself. When I opened it, I found a part, gear/cog completely chartered. I don’t know where it came from. The result is though that the bobbin doesn’t turn. Can anyone advise me?

Thank you so much

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir or Madame Vania . . . . . . . ( . . . . . an unfamiliar names gender, to me ?)

MECHANICAL BLOW UP AND PARTS LIST . . . . .

1hvuCnD.jpg

Logic deems that your fault certainly would seem to be, the plastic gear ITEM 35 having had its retaining clip (33) and compressioion spring (34) loosened and popped off the end of shaft (32) and thereby, letting the gear fall free, down inside.
OR . . . . . its plastic having developed time related brittleness and having split, and the resultant two gear halves fall down inside.

MECHANICAL BLOW UP AND PARTS LIST . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake . . . . . . every damn time you repeat it.

Last edited:

nimiq

Jun 30, 2019
Hi there, I’m new to this forum and the question that I have is... is there a layout for the inside of my Futura 1000 and where can I find parts for my machine. I live in Amsterdam and I have been searching the Internet.
My machine stopped working and I decided to fix it myself. When I opened it, I found a part, gear/cog completely chartered. I don’t know where it came from. The result is though that the bobbin doesn’t turn. Can anyone advise me?

Thank you so much
Hi Vania,
I've two Futura 2000s that had the same problem. OP is correct, the hook gears have gone brittle and broken.
Can your Futura 1000 wind the bobbin in situ - if yes then this may help:
You can buy a replacement set on Ebay - search for "futura gear 382980". I purchased one set to try from the "Evernice" listing - it arrived and works fine in my futura 2000 (cost £9.60 but I see it's now £8.45 so I've purchased 2 more sets - note these are remanufactured gears, not original. I'd avoid originals in case they have been stored for years! Also be careful what you buy because one gear has a second hole for the bobbin winder function, some listings may say the gear set is compatible but they are not. Repairing is reasonably simple but do make sure you understand the needle / shuttle / foot timing before taking apart! Also you may need to replace the motor mount inserts, they crumble with age too. I made mine from high density foam.

Hope that helps, good luck

Vasyl

Jun 2, 2020
Hi everyone.
I've got old Singer Futura 1000, but it has problem with sewing zigzag. No matter which program i select the needle doesn't move to the left/right when i start sewing. I believe problem with electronic part, but can't figure out how to get access to the main electronic boaurd.
Hope anyone can help me.
Thanks.

Maidofkent

Jul 18, 2021
Hi, I've just been gifted a Singer Futura 1000, but doesn't have a foot pedal. I know I can get one but I need to know what sort of machine it is before I decide it's worth it. I make bags and sometimes need to sew through several layers, often of vinyl. I occasionally will sew leather also. Is this machine a heavy duty one that will do that?

I can't find very much about it online.

Sekke

Sep 24, 2021
Hello,
I just received a Singer Futura 1000 that broke down. Rather than throwing it away, I would like to try to repair it...
The lamp lights up.
The motor is running.
The needle doesn't go down by itself, I have to leave my finger on it so that it goes down and up when the motor is running.
The magic button on the bobbin works.
There is a led that lights up above the fancy stitches but no reaction when I press the other buttons.

The lady was telling me that she was told that it was a fuse that needed to be changed.
Do you know how to access the fuse? Where to start to disassemble ;-)

As for the needle that does not go down, is it a broken part?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

nimiq

Jun 30, 2019
Hello,
I just received a Singer Futura 1000 that broke down. Rather than throwing it away, I would like to try to repair it...
The lamp lights up.
The motor is running.
The needle doesn't go down by itself, I have to leave my finger on it so that it goes down and up when the motor is running.
The magic button on the bobbin works.
There is a led that lights up above the fancy stitches but no reaction when I press the other buttons.

The lady was telling me that she was told that it was a fuse that needed to be changed.
Do you know how to access the fuse? Where to start to disassemble ;-)

As for the needle that does not go down, is it a broken part?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

nimiq

Jun 30, 2019
The Futura 1000 looks very similar to the 2001. I have several throw outs of which 2 are now working. Servicing these is less than straightforward and accessing the electronics is quite difficult due to the way it is packed in with interconnecting wires everywhere.
Disconnect the machine from the mains supply.
The top should slide off towards the hand wheel - it is held on by 2 internal spring clips that can hold it very tight so sometimes I use a screwdriver to gently get it started. This will allow you to see most of the needle drive mechanism.
Next remove the left side cover to expose the needle bar.
You can now investigate the needle drive mechanism to see what is going on.

Regarding the internal fuse, if fitted this can be accessed by removing the bottom cover. For safety do ensure mains is disconnected first.
On the Futura 2001 the fuse is for all the power to the machine, there are no other fuses on the electronics boards.

You can get a parts list here - it also has some exploded views of the machine that may help:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/154332/Singer-Xl-1000.html?page=8#manual

Two last tips:
- don't adjust any preset resistors on the electronics boards unless you really understand what they are for.
- check the motor rubber mountings to see if they have perished, if they have the drive belt may be loose and slipping.

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Sekke . . . . .

HEY !
. . . . . . . . . . Where you go o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o ? . . . . ( PLUS . . . my Spell Check thinks that it wants to change / correctly spell your name . )

At the very simplest of analyzing :
Can you try this . . . .?
Cut out a small hand sized square of single weight / ply cardboard stock . . . . . akin to the weight used on cereal and cracker boxes.
Manually get the needle UP using the machines right ends MANUAL HAND WHEEL.
Lift the pressure foot up and insert the edge of the cardboard ( matte side down, if there is being a glossy side ) and let the pressure foot back down.
Now take the manual hand wheel and "sew" the length of the cardboard . . . . . . . thus confirming that the sew mechanics has enough drive
" oomph " and proper mechanical functionality to accomplish the multiple needle pierces and accompanying creep forward , materiel feed action .
If so . . . . . I would be wanting to expect a broken drive belt inside or a cog tooth/teeth broken off on that ( dry rotted / brittle) cog belt.
If items 42 and 17 are being of. . . . . A G E D . ./ yellowed / C R A C K ED *** plastic or DELRIN construction, they might also be suspect. . . . . .no question on the aged aspect.
( *** ¿ Some how ? . . . . I have a gut feeling that they are going to be cheep molded " potty " metal.

TECHNO REFERENCING . . . . .Parte Deux

Singing-Sowing-Machine.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Last edited: