Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Woo-Woo Beginner help to design a 60v 100w load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oz hobbyist

Apr 16, 2019
Hi guys, I have only basic knowledge of electronics so please be patient with my lack of experience.

I want to create a simple and cheap load to draw approx DC 60 volts at about 1000 watts. I may use 5 car batteries or a power supply to power. I only need to draw the power from the power supply, but it will be wasted power so waste it to earth maybe?

So any suggestion how to create a simple load to constantly draw the 60v 1000 watts.
Is there some simple method (sillyness ahead) like tie 50 pencils together. Or discharge a dead car battery to act as a resistor (just wild guess. Or can I buil my own from wire/mud/toenails?

Sorry for sillyness above, but can anyone get me started with around the house resistor building materials.

Or how to set up a 60v load el cheapo style..

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
1kW is a lot of power and will produce a lot of heat.
One way is to select some wire such as galvanised iron fencing wire and make a coil with sufficient resistance.
Immerse the coil in oil to increase the thermal capacity, you could probably run for a few minutes before the fire starts.
Or take an old fan heater and rewire the heating element with resistance wire to give 1kW. The fan would need mains to provide the cooling. This would not have a time limit.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
A thousand Watts is a lot of power, it will produce nearly as much heat as a typical space heater. So the big problem is getting rid of that heat.

1000 Watts at 60 V is 16.67 Amps and would be 3.6 Ohms if a resistor.

To DIY it, I think your best bet would be to get an old toaster, with a heating element that is wire, cut it in half and parallel the two halves. If the toaster was 1000 W, this would be 1000 W at 60 VDC.

Why do you need this? Perhaps knowing that could help lead us to a solution.

bob

Oz hobbyist

Apr 16, 2019
@duke37

Great suggestions. I will look into both.
The old fan heater idea, will 60V DC work on the AC heating element? I just don't know.

Also, if I buy 12 of 100W resistors (I saw on ebay), if placed in series would they likely handle this load?

Again thanks.

Oz hobbyist

Apr 16, 2019
A thousand Watts is a lot of power, it will produce nearly as much heat as a typical space heater. So the big problem is getting rid of that heat.

1000 Watts at 60 V is 16.67 Amps and would be 3.6 Ohms if a resistor.

To DIY it, I think your best bet would be to get an old toaster, with a heating element that is wire, cut it in half and parallel the two halves. If the toaster was 1000 W, this would be 1000 W at 60 VDC.

Why do you need this? Perhaps knowing that could help lead us to a solution.

bob

Thanks bob, Just the sort of suggestion I'm looking for.
As I asked duke37 above. Do you think 10 or 12 100W 0.2Ohm resistors would work in series to do this job.

The purpose you wont like much I think, but it's to do with testing the nature of EM. My interest is diverting the dc pulse before it reaches the load (eg 1mhz), by using an ssr relay. Switching off the circuit battery path, will let the EM pulse continue on it's path out the end of the wire.

This DC pulse is, in my guess, inherently EM at rest, (scalar) non-inductive so no detection with normal instruments possible. My aim is to create these pulses, detect them through several indirect effects on other systems (eg current through transformer system, doubleslit wave collapse, basic tinfoil capacitor charge rate, seed growth rate, and a bunch of others.

I know Engineers don't understand EM theory and power through wire the way I think it works. But that's part of the exercise. Going to my main interest is to create a scalar transmission through the earth for example. and open up a area of tesla research which has not been solved to date.

Hope all that didn't make you regret asking?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I know Engineers don't understand EM theory and power through wire the way I think it works.

Engineers understand EM extremely well ..... obviously you don't

thread closed and moved to woo woo section

thanks to those that tried to answer this thread,

Status
Not open for further replies.