Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB Design, 12V@N*0.6A, traces, how can i make this work

jacobcullen

Feb 16, 2019
I have a breadboard setup that I'm testing at the moment to run several PC Fans with PWM. Each fan is likely to have less than 0.6A draw at maximum RPM. I'm now in the process of moving from breadboard to PCB which i haven't done before.

From my understanding, having several fans hooked up lets say 5 for now, will draw 3 A (5 x 0.6A), which I'm sure is likely to be a lot compared to a thin trace line on a PCB. I've seen that i can increase the trace width in eagle and googled some calculations. I figure i can even run traces on the top and bottom layers in 2 Oz. copper to maximize cross section.

I realize that this is a pretty basic question, but its new to me so any help would be awesome.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You could google for "Trace width calculator" and find a number of on-line calculators.

Here is one that allows you to design for temperature rise in the track.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Another option, if you're restricted for space on the pcb, is to solder a tinned copper wire overlaid on a trace, using the solder liberally, to beef up the current-carrying capacity where needed.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The fans do not have to all share one track. 600 mA is not a problem. Use seperate tracks to each fan. They should come together only where the power comes in and you can use a large copper area there.

Bob

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
The fans do not have to all share one track. 600 mA is not a problem. Use seperate tracks to each fan. They should come together only where the power comes in and you can use a large copper area there.

Bob
You could even use multiple layers to improve current density.

jacobcullen

Feb 16, 2019
I have a breadboard setup that I'm testing at the moment to run several PC Fans with PWM. Each fan is likely to have less than 0.6A draw at maximum RPM. I'm now in the process of moving from breadboard to PCB which i haven't done before.

From my understanding, having several fans hooked up lets say 5 for now, will draw 3 A (5 x 0.6A), which I'm sure is likely to be a lot compared to a thin trace line on a PCB. I've seen that i can increase the trace width in eagle and googled some calculations. I figure i can even run traces on the top and bottom layers in 2 Oz. copper to maximize cross section.
https://testmyspeed.onl/ Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire

I realize that this is a pretty basic question, but its new to me so any help would be awesome.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You do know that they make computer fan controllers? They're about $15 delivered for a basic no-frills bay mount style, but the PCB could be removed from the bay mount if it needs to be.

Why did you write "thin trace" (on a PCB)? Merely use all available space for this trace, don't try to make some thin thing that wastes away the copper removed from the board... some things don't need to be calculated unless there is a severe space constraint which I just can't imagine here because the spacing will be dictated by the size of the connectors.