Maker Pro
Maker Pro

angle grinder soft start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpalmer1963

Dec 16, 2014
Hi all, bought a few old power tools that need fixing, in one of them (a Titan 9" angle grinder) the part in the picture has burnt out, it says on it AOL 230v-50hz DS12A, I have been told it is a soft starter and have tried everywhere to source it but with no luck, question is if one of these can't be sourced is there something else that can be used, thanks in advance :):)

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,391

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Hi all, bought a few old power tools that need fixing, in one of them (a Titan 9" angle grinder) the part in the picture has burnt out, it says on it AOL 230v-50hz DS12A, I have been told it is a soft starter and have tried everywhere to source it but with no luck, question is if one of these can't be sourced is there something else that can be used, thanks in advance :):)

Well unfortunately all I found was that the tool is made in China(part 95). There is a possibility though of picking up another similar tool that would have soft start and scavenging it for the part. That being said, it would probably be cheaper to replace. Maybe someone else will come along with better success. In the states we have a company called Harbor Freight, see their website for many similar looking tools from China. Notice that the body will be the same, just the color or the plastic may vary sometimes.

Best of luck.

johnpalmer1963

Dec 16, 2014
Thanks chopnhack, I did contact a parts company on the net and they said it was Chinese and it may be difficult to source it, it may be a silly question but if the part was omitted would the motor self destruct?

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Where is the part mounted and how is it connected?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks chopnhack, I did contact a parts company on the net and they said it was Chinese and it may be difficult to source it, it may be a silly question but if the part was omitted would the motor self destruct?

I would rather doubt that, its job is to limit the inrush current or voltage and slowly ramp up so that the tool doesn't jar your hand. Without the part, does the tool operate? I would think it would be an open circuit at this point. As @KJ6EAD mentioned, it would be helpful for a picture of the board, both sides. See the resource for photo submission of boards.

johnpalmer1963

Dec 16, 2014
There isn't a board inside, it fits directly between the switch and the motor as per the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 2,006

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
There isn't a board inside, it fits directly between the switch and the motor as per the pic.
I see it now. So at this point the unit does not turn on correct? I assume that the soft start burn out (thus opening the circuit).

johnpalmer1963

Dec 16, 2014
That's correct, it has burned out and the circuit is open, as there are many types of these angle grinders and the 9" type are all soft start even if this part cannot be sourced then there must be something else to solder inline that will do the job

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
That's correct, it has burned out and the circuit is open, as there are many types of these angle grinders and the 9" type are all soft start even if this part cannot be sourced then there must be something else to solder inline that will do the job
Sorry John, after looking at the schematics for three different models offered by Harbor Freight I have had no luck in finding a part like yours, unless its hidden in the switch body itself. As a junior here, I have helped you as far as I can. I hope others will come by soon to assist you. The next thing I would try if it was my tool, would be to jumper the burnt out device. But I would wait for more seasoned advice ;)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
It's most likely a bespoke soft start module with Triac and controller built in. I think you may have trouble finding a spare part. Unless you by another second hand grinder with a different fault.
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Thinking about it, it might be just an NTC. Are there any marking on the device?
Adam

johnpalmer1963

Dec 16, 2014
Hi Adam, no special markings on the grinder except where it says Titan power tools (UK) ltd lol, on the part that burnt out there is a little schematic showing where the part fits but nothing special apart from what else it says is in the first post in this thread, cheers

johnpalmer1963

Dec 16, 2014
Can you actually buy this as a unit like in the picture or would it be necessary to buy the parts separately and make it up?

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
I think it's an SCR but I don't know which one.

soft starting electric motors in power tools—phase control, sometimes referred to as electronic, and mechanical. In the phase control approach, a thyristor, such as a triac or silicon controlled rectifier (SCR) is used to switch power to the motor. When the motor is first started, turn-on of the thyristor is delayed a predetermined number of degrees out of each half cycle of the AC waveform. For example, turn-on of the thyristor might be delayed thirty degrees during each half cycle of the AC waveform so that the thyristor is not turned on in each half cycle until thirty degrees into the half cycle. After the motor reaches a predetermined speed, or an appropriate period of time elapses, the delayed turn-on of the thyristor ceases and the thyristor is turned-on at the beginning of each half-cycle.

Darren Dillon

May 29, 2015
Hi there - I may be slightly late here but I recently have been looking for one of these parts for a Florabest chainsaw. The part can be bought from Einhill Uk. Part Number 443057001046. They quoted me £13.58 and £3.50 delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.