Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power-One power supply mod

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
@hevans1944: Thanks, that is very wise advice and I might still go that way. But my take on it is: Buy the cheap chinese kit and use that as a learning test bed to understand what is going on there. By working my way through paulv's journey of discovery I might graduate and start looking at his improved power supply. The scary bit here is that it might lead to the need for a scope.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... it might lead to the need for a scope.
An oscilloscope is absolutely essential if you are to make any progress as an electronics hobbyist.

An EICO 460K oscilloscope kit was my second purchase, as a teenager, after building an RCA Voltohmyst WV-77E VTVM (Vacuum Tube Volt Meter), also from a kit. These two instruments truly got me started down the path to becoming an electronics technician. By the time I graduated college with an electrical engineering degree in 1978 at age 34, both instruments had been replaced with more modern equivalents, but I still have fond memories of using them to learn and explore the fascinating world of vacuum tube electronics in the 1960s.

upload_2017-8-9_11-0-1.jpeg upload_2017-8-9_11-0-43.jpeg

Besides test equipment, you need to study and learn electronics theory if you ever expect to progress beyond "monkey see, monkey do" assembly of cheap Chinese copies of OPDs (Other People's Designs). I think the only thing you will learn from that is it is very easy to get ripped off by Asian vendors. Caveat emptor!

There are some bargains to be found, but you really have to know what you are doing before tossing money at them. Even then there is no guarantee you won't get ripped off by counterfeit parts and other components of questionable quality. For example, look closely at the "standard" transformer you are considering using, especially the manner in which the windings are "scramble wound" on separate halves of the nylon bobbin, and how the bobbin is inserted on the core of the transformer. This is not a quality part, although it may be serviceable for some applications. But how would you know that? The specs are "subject to change without notice!"

It is easy to find a quality transformer from any of several reputable electronics distributors. And there is usually a link to a PDF file with complete specifications on their web page. Being retired and trying to survive on a limited, fixed, income may make the Asian offers seem like a God-send. Maybe so, because you WILL learn something from the experience of buying from them. Me, I would just as soon pay a little extra (sometimes a LOT extra) to get parts that I know are reliable and will meet their published specifications, instead of trying to obtain a refund on Asian junk or, worse, just writing off the loss to experience gained.

I too am now "retired, living on a fixed income" but over the years I have accumulated a lot of quality electronics parts. That means I only have to purchase "new stuff" to try to stay current with technology, and today the "new stuff" is incredibly cheap compared to what electronics used to cost. Not all of it is cheap Asian junk either. Some of it is cheap, but serviceable, and happens to be made in Asia. The trick is learning how to determine the difference, but hopefully not through bad experiences. Google and various electronics forums are your friends here. Learn from the experience of others.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Thanks for the wise words once again hevans1944. I appreciate it. There is no better teacher than experience.
I have always been interested in electronics but got serious about it after we retired in the bush and the dodgy power supply coupled with lightning caused me to have an ever growing box of electronic goodies.
So I downloaded "The Art of Electronics" and sat down. ..........Walked away a couple of weeks later with a seriously bloodied nose and drooping shoulders. I want to fix electronics not design them:mad::mad:

I have spent the last day studying transformers and figuring out Va. Then went hunting again. Unfortunately SA is not the best place to be hunting for electronics and I am scared of the cost of importing due to the weight so I have been looking locally. Found one that I think could work (http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/toroidal-transformers/3616276/) But, at nearly $90 it's a non starter.

lol, even thinking of winding my own. Came across a place that sells lots of different enamelled wire.

Scopes? Scary prices. Hopefully I find one in a pawn shop one day.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Does anybody "fix" electronics anymore? It is very reliable and if something goes wrong with it then it is simply replaced.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
It seems that RS do not know what they are selling. The photo shows 2 x 15V but the description is for a 2 x 12V transformer. If it is only 2 x 12V then the power supply will not produce much more than 25VDC at 3A. If the transformer is 2 x 15V then it will be a little overloaded when the power supply produces 30V at 3A.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Thanks a mil Audioguru. I will make sure that it's 2x12 when I buy it. This is the only affordable transformer I have found in South Africa. I am quite happy if it only produces 25V. But otherwise will it work in the power supply?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
You will need to adjust the calibration (a value change of a resistor) so that the maximum is 25V or it will produce an maximum output a little more than 25VDC that is full of ripple and without any voltage regulation.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Thanks again Audioguru. That I will do. Just super happy that I have found something that can work. Now to get it out of RS who must be the most useless/inefficient electronics supplier in Africa:mad:

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
In Google, I entered a search for Farnell and found them in many countries including South Africa. They are a good electronic parts distributor, try them.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Just to conclude this thread. I found a local company who could wind me a toroidal and I received this baby:
Toroid 28V 120VA rev2.jpg

Heavy little bugger. Cost me about $31.

I hope this will get Audioguru's stamp of approval. I will be start a thread on the trials and tribulations of my build which will be based on Audioguru's design.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
120VA???

Two secondary windings at 28V gives you around 1A per winding (no idea what S3 is but it can only DECREASE the available current for S1 and S2).

If you only want a PSU with limited current output then that's fine but for the original design (3A?) that transformer won't meet the needs.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
kellys_eye: My confusion is now complete. I followed Audioguru's advice in post no 30 of this threado_O

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
If both 28V secondaries of the new torroid transformer are in parallel then the maximum current from the power supply is 3A DC at 0V to 30VDC.
Then each secondary can power its own power supply circuit and the currents will each be 1.5A max.

I think the power rating of the transformer should be a little higher to allow for the manufacturer "rounding off" the 120VA to maybe 108VA.

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
I asked the manufacturer to give me 2 secondaries at 28V/120VA each as I'm planning to eventually end up with a power supply with + and - rails. Is your impression that this is not the case? Then I need to check with the manufacturer