[woo-woo] HH2

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by red dog, Nov 13, 2011.

1. red dog

red dog

built a aluminum lye generator and am in the phase of hooking it up. I
    have worked out a system to energise it and shut it down. What I want to know
    is since the lye and water will consume aluminum , after it has
    been turned into H2 and is hydrogen will it damage my aluminum heads on
    the car. What filters and bubelers do I need to get clean hydrogen to my
    combustion chamber. Have a dry carbon now. richarddobyns@hotmail.com:D
    red dog, Nov 13, 2011
    1. Advertising

2. red dog

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Mid way between Beijing and the Ronne Ice Shelf
    Your car will perform better and get better fuel economy if you don't try to attach a perpetual motion machine to it.
    (*steve*), Nov 13, 2011
    1. Advertising

3. red dog

timothy48342 VIP Member

There is one device used electricity from the battery to produce the H2 to be burnt. That device is completely bogus.

I don't think this one is actually an overunity device. (That doesn't necessarily mean it does work.)

What happens in general is that Aluminum metal conbines with oxygen in the water (in the presents of Hydroxide ions) leaving behind H atoms which bubble out as H2 gas. Energy comes from oxidizing AL and some of that is used to convert Hydrogen from ions to gas. The H2 gas is just an energy carrier. When the H2 burns along with the gasoline in your engine, it should in theory contribute some energy saving you some gasoline.

So, some aluminum get used up and some gas gets saved. That might be a good thing. When considering the environmental impact, there are some considerations, such as the energy it takes to mine the aluminum, and what to do with the Alumina when your done. I personally am on the fence on this one for now without doing some more research.

To the OP:
    Why do you think the H2 will damage your heads? Are you talking about Hydrogen Embrittlement? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement)

What is "dry carbon?" Is that some kind of filter? If so, can you look at the filter to see what is being filtered out? Can you capture some of the gas that is being produced and burn it (carfully) and see if it leaves any residue. Also, when H2 burns, the water that is produced should be pH neutral, I think.

When Hydrogen bubbles out of a solution, it might take some of the solution with it as tiny droplets. (In this case some Aluminum oxide particles, too) I'd be concerned about Aluminum Oxide and Sodium Hydroxide getting sucked into the engine. Sodium Hydroxide, lye, will corrode lots of different metals.

Also Hydrogen Embrittlement is a concern. (Link above) But aluminum engine parts are not particularly susseptable to that. Some metals are, some arn't.

-tim
    timothy48342, Apr 1, 2012
  4. red dog

Harald Kapp Moderator - sometimes not so moderate Moderator

Germany - Europe - Earth - Sol System - Milky Way
    Have you ever thought about how much energy goes into producing that aluminum beforehand? I forgot who said this, but it's a good allegory: "aluminum is solid electric energy".
    Harald Kapp, Jan 15, 2013
    1. Advertising