The Raptor vs The Hackor

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tedstruk, Jan 28, 2012.

1. tedstruk

tedstruk

I have a basic education of electronics.
    The Raptor was Peaveys cheap mass production model designed for beginners and shedders. I picked up a broke down model for 50 easy. I thought it had a humbucker, and two single coils and I thought I might learn something from the electronics. Wrong...
    It has a 2 wire dual coil, and two single coils. The single coils are external magnetics, which I haven't seen since the end of the 50's. Anyway, I didn't like the Strats fake electronics from the beginning, and this cloned morph, didn't have an input jack to test them...wow something went right!.

The 5 way in there, isn't really a 5 way, Its a 2 pole 3 throw,
    The volume pots aren't volumes, they are balance pots that are grounded on one end.

Myth buster #1 - A 250k pot is only capable of handling 250k of variation of signal. A 500k pot handles more bandwidth, actually double the response of the 250!

A true volume pot will have a grounding tab, and two isolated pins that read 0 ohms on one end of the twist and the value of the pot on the other(a 350k volume pot will read 350 on the VOM meter)

I modified this raptor immediately... I added an 8 contact volume-balance slider I pulled from a 50's sylvania console,and a tight mini- on off!
    I would just about bet, that this Raptor is all fifties, and that my mods don't change it much!!
    see pics...

Attached Files:

tedstruk, Jan 28, 2012