Overheating transformer.

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by TonyV, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. TonyV

    TonyV Guest

    I am using a 50W (230V - 12V) transformer to drive a 5W halogen lamp.
    It works fine but the transformer gets very hot after about 30 minutes or
    so.

    Can someone please explain to me why it overheats so quickly?
    Should I perhaps use a lower Wattage transformer?

    Thanks.
    TonyV
    South Africa
    TonyV, Feb 2, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "TonyV" <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    > I am using a 50W (230V - 12V) transformer to drive a 5W halogen lamp.
    > It works fine but the transformer gets very hot after about 30 minutes or
    > so.
    >
    > Can someone please explain to me why it overheats so quickly?
    > Should I perhaps use a lower Wattage transformer?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > TonyV
    > South Africa
    >
    >


    Tony,

    Must be something wrong. Are you sure your numbers are correct? What's the
    current rating of that transformer? It should be around 4A. BTW the power
    rating of a transformer is usually given in VA, not in W. Assuming your
    numbers are correct, the only thing I can imagine is bad insulation inside
    the transformer. Does the transformer become hot when the lamp is
    disconnected but the 230V is not?

    petrus




    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.572 / Virus Database: 362 - Release Date: 27-1-2004
    petrus bitbyter, Feb 2, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. TonyV

    Ian Stirling Guest

    TonyV <> wrote:
    > I am using a 50W (230V - 12V) transformer to drive a 5W halogen lamp.
    > It works fine but the transformer gets very hot after about 30 minutes or
    > so.
    >
    > Can someone please explain to me why it overheats so quickly?
    > Should I perhaps use a lower Wattage transformer?


    Assuming you are running the transformer at its design input voltage.
    You can economise somewhat on the transformer design if you design
    it so that it gets hot under no load.
    Is it a particularly cheap unit made for use with lights?
    Ian Stirling, Feb 2, 2004
    #3
  4. TonyV

    Guest

    "TonyV" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am using a 50W (230V - 12V) transformer to drive a 5W halogen lamp.
    > It works fine but the transformer gets very hot after about 30 minutes or
    > so.
    >
    > Can someone please explain to me why it overheats so quickly?
    > Should I perhaps use a lower Wattage transformer?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > TonyV
    > South Africa


    The more power it must pass, (watts) the bigger the transformer must
    be (to avoid it getting hot).

    The more iron (and copper) in it, the more power it can pass.

    Rob
    , Feb 3, 2004
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Method

    help with overheating pump

    Method, Sep 9, 2003, in forum: Electronic Basics
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    269
    norm d.
    Sep 13, 2003
  2. Jermin
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    389
    Don Bruder
    Apr 28, 2004
  3. talisman

    Power transistor overheating

    talisman, Dec 22, 2005, in forum: Electronic Basics
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    947
    talisman
    Jan 8, 2006
  4. Don W
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    269
    Tim Shoppa
    Apr 24, 2006
  5. TonyV

    Overheating transformer.

    TonyV, Feb 2, 2004, in forum: Electronic Repair
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    620
    RubbishRat
    Feb 3, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page