Fence Charger Problem

Discussion in 'Electronics Repair' started by Gregm, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Gregm

Gregm

I have a Parmak Mark 6 low impedance fence charger. I am thinking lightening got it. The two fuse are good (checked them with an ohm meter), nothing inside the charger looks burnt. What is the little red item (see picture)? I have not tried jumping it because I do not know what it is and I cannot read the numbers on it. I have power up to that point. Any suggestions other buy a new charger on next steps to try and fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

Gregm, Jul 21, 2011
    1. Advertising

2. Gregm

Resqueline

I can't make out much (if anything) from those pictures, and the little red item (ceramic capacitor?) is as unclear to me as it is to you.

Resqueline, Jul 21, 2011
    1. Advertising

3. Gregm

Gregm

It looks like the numbers on the red item are R820 and underneath those numbers maybe M2M. If it is a cap. how can I test it? Does it make any sense to jumper past it?

Thanks

Gregm, Jul 21, 2011
  4. Gregm

duke37 VIP Member

Last night I had a look at an Electric Shepherd fencer, the output transformer was open circuit.
    Fencers can be supplied from batteries or the mains, which is yours? It looks as if there is a transformer tacked away in the dark recesses, is this a mains transformer or an invertor transformer (not normally iron cored)?
    Check that there is voltage comong out of the power supply and that the large capacitor is charging up
    Check the output transformer for continuity.
    The trigger is often by diac and SCR, the diac may have gone leaky. If the trigger is working, you should hear a click due magnetostriction in the output transformer.
    It looks a bit amateurish to me.
    Give us an idea of the circuit even a block diagram would help.

duke37, Jul 21, 2011
  5. Gregm

bear

I haqve the same charger that was hit by lightning what is the red device in the circuit?

bear, Jul 10, 2013
  6. Gregm

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

The red thing is a wire.

I expect you're not talking about that though.

(*steve*), Jul 11, 2013
  7. Gregm

duke37 VIP Member

The red thing may be a voltage dependent resistor intended to limit voltage transients on the input. If so , it is not essential for the fencer to work.

1. Does the fencer work on battery or mains?
    2. Is there a printed circuit board?
    3. Is there power getting to the board?
    4. Is the big capacitor charging up? (Be careful, it will have a few hundred volts).
    5. Check for continuity across the primary and secondary of the output transformer.

Post some pictures of the various parts.

Have you tried to get a circuit diagram (schematic)?

duke37, Jul 11, 2013
  8. Gregm

bear

Thanks for the reply.
    The charger was hit by lightning but no visable damage. The incoming voltage was not going to the transformer because of the 820 CM13 device was open. I jumpered around it and had power to the circuit board but the charger was not working and resistor 3W1K was getting too hot for operation. I will have to remove the board and draw out the circuit board and troubleshoot which component failed. The fence charger is a Parmak Precision Model Mark 6.

bear, Jul 11, 2013
  9. Gregm

Gregm

Maybe this will help someone else to repair a fence charger. The problem with my fence charger was the circuit board was bad. I found that for a Parmark and a FieldMaster charger a board can be ordered from Parker McCrory Mfg. Co. You can go to their parmakusa.com/contact-us.php and e-mail them to find out if they have the board you need. I purchased the board for $29.95 and shipping was $5.80.

Gregm, Feb 26, 2014
    1. Advertising