Correct way to write 24 hour-time? Decimalpoint too.

Discussion in 'Electrical Engineering' started by Alex Coleman, May 27, 2006.

  1. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    format. Does a definitive format exist?

    I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT referring
    to computer conventions of any sort.

    QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what is
    the correct format?

    1816 hrs
    18:16 hrs
    18:16 hours
    18:16 h
    18:16
    18.16
    18-16

    Does it vary between being written by a word processor and by hand?
    See below.

    (2) What is the correct way to write a decimal point? I am English
    and that means that a comma is not the correct symbol for the decomal
    point.

    But ISTR that when the decimal point was written by hand it was in
    the air about half the height of the digits. Typewriters and word
    prorcessors did not offer that half-way character so a full stop was
    used. But is it more correct to handwrite the decimal point as half
    way up the height of the digits?




    --

    posted to 3 groups whose members probably
    need to be accurate about time recording
    Alex Coleman, May 27, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Alex Coleman

    Sam Wormley Guest

    Alex Coleman wrote:
    > (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    > format. Does a definitive format exist?
    >
    > I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT referring
    > to computer conventions of any sort.
    >



    Sat May 27 15:32:17 UTC 2006

    15:32
    Sam Wormley, May 27, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Alex Coleman

    Guest

    In sci.physics Alex Coleman <> wrote:
    > (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    > format. Does a definitive format exist?


    > I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT referring
    > to computer conventions of any sort.


    > QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what is
    > the correct format?


    > 1816 hrs
    > 18:16 hrs
    > 18:16 hours
    > 18:16 h
    > 18:16
    > 18.16
    > 18-16


    > Does it vary between being written by a word processor and by hand?
    > See below.


    > (2) What is the correct way to write a decimal point? I am English
    > and that means that a comma is not the correct symbol for the decomal
    > point.


    > But ISTR that when the decimal point was written by hand it was in
    > the air about half the height of the digits. Typewriters and word
    > prorcessors did not offer that half-way character so a full stop was
    > used. But is it more correct to handwrite the decimal point as half
    > way up the height of the digits?




    > --


    > posted to 3 groups whose members probably
    > need to be accurate about time recording


    Ignoring computers leaves military and aviation as users of 24 hour
    time.

    By their convention, when written, the time would be 1816Z if in UTC,
    some other letter if a different time zone.

    When spoken, it would be eighteen sixteen zulu if in UTC, or eighteen
    sixteen local.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.
    , May 27, 2006
    #3
  4. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    On 27 May 2006, <> wrote:

    > In sci.physics Alex Coleman <> wrote:
    >> (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    >> format. Does a definitive format exist?

    >
    >> I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT
    >> referring to computer conventions of any sort.

    >
    >> QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what
    >> is the correct format?

    >
    >> 1816 hrs
    >> 18:16 hrs
    >> 18:16 hours
    >> 18:16 h
    >> 18:16
    >> 18.16
    >> 18-16

    >
    >> Does it vary between being written by a word processor and by
    >> hand? See below.

    >
    >> (2) What is the correct way to write a decimal point? I am
    >> English and that means that a comma is not the correct symbol for
    >> the decomal point.

    >
    >> But ISTR that when the decimal point was written by hand it was in
    >> the air about half the height of the digits. Typewriters and word
    >> prorcessors did not offer that half-way character so a full stop
    >> was used. But is it more correct to handwrite the decimal point
    >> as half way up the height of the digits?

    >
    >
    >
    > Ignoring computers leaves military and aviation as users of 24 hour
    > time.


    That was not my intention. I am thinking of this purely for use by the
    layman.

    As this forum is accessed by computer then I wanted to be clear that
    wideley used Unix or Microsoft time formats (however standard in
    computing) are not relevant here.

    >
    > By their convention, when written, the time would be 1816Z if in
    > UTC, some other letter if a different time zone.
    >
    > When spoken, it would be eighteen sixteen zulu if in UTC, or
    > eighteen sixteen local.
    Alex Coleman, May 27, 2006
    #4
  5. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    On 27 May 2006, Sam Wormley<> wrote:

    >
    > Alex Coleman wrote:
    >> (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    >> format. Does a definitive format exist?
    >>
    >> I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT referring
    >> to computer conventions of any sort.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Sat May 27 15:32:17 UTC 2006
    >
    > 15:32
    >



    You would not put in "hours" or "hrs" then to qualify "15:32"?
    Alex Coleman, May 27, 2006
    #5
  6. Alex Coleman

    Guest

    In sci.physics Alex Coleman <> wrote:
    > On 27 May 2006, <> wrote:


    > > In sci.physics Alex Coleman <> wrote:
    > >> (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    > >> format. Does a definitive format exist?

    > >
    > >> I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT
    > >> referring to computer conventions of any sort.

    > >
    > >> QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what
    > >> is the correct format?

    > >
    > >> 1816 hrs
    > >> 18:16 hrs
    > >> 18:16 hours
    > >> 18:16 h
    > >> 18:16
    > >> 18.16
    > >> 18-16

    > >
    > >> Does it vary between being written by a word processor and by
    > >> hand? See below.

    > >
    > >> (2) What is the correct way to write a decimal point? I am
    > >> English and that means that a comma is not the correct symbol for
    > >> the decomal point.

    > >
    > >> But ISTR that when the decimal point was written by hand it was in
    > >> the air about half the height of the digits. Typewriters and word
    > >> prorcessors did not offer that half-way character so a full stop
    > >> was used. But is it more correct to handwrite the decimal point
    > >> as half way up the height of the digits?

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Ignoring computers leaves military and aviation as users of 24 hour
    > > time.


    > That was not my intention. I am thinking of this purely for use by the
    > layman.


    Then you are SOL since "layman" don't use 24 hour time and it confuses
    most of them.

    > As this forum is accessed by computer then I wanted to be clear that
    > wideley used Unix or Microsoft time formats (however standard in
    > computing) are not relevant here.


    24 hour time is not relevant at all to most people.

    For those that it is, I gave you the convention.

    For a time to be meaningful to geographically separated people, you
    also need to account for time zones. Those too confuse "layman".

    > > By their convention, when written, the time would be 1816Z if in
    > > UTC, some other letter if a different time zone.
    > >
    > > When spoken, it would be eighteen sixteen zulu if in UTC, or
    > > eighteen sixteen local.



    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.
    , May 27, 2006
    #6
  7. Alex Coleman

    Guest

    In sci.physics Alex Coleman <> wrote:
    > On 27 May 2006, Sam Wormley<> wrote:


    > >
    > > Alex Coleman wrote:
    > >> (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    > >> format. Does a definitive format exist?
    > >>
    > >> I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT referring
    > >> to computer conventions of any sort.
    > >>

    > >
    > >
    > > Sat May 27 15:32:17 UTC 2006
    > >
    > > 15:32
    > >



    > You would not put in "hours" or "hrs" then to qualify "15:32"?


    To avoid confusing it with weeks or fortnights perhaps?

    The ":32" isn't in hours.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.
    , May 27, 2006
    #7
  8. Alex Coleman

    The Sorcerer Guest

    "Alex Coleman" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns97D0A6DB6CBFB71F3M4@127.0.0.1...
    | (1) I see several worthy attempts to write the time in a 24-hour
    | format. Does a definitive format exist?

    "Definitive" means how you define it.

    |
    | I want to leave out the seconds. Also note that I am NOT referring
    | to computer conventions of any sort.

    So leave them out. Nobody is forcing you to put them in.

    |
    | QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what is
    | the correct format?
    |
    | 1816 hrs
    | 18:16 hrs
    | 18:16 hours
    | 18:16 h
    | 18:16
    | 18.16
    | 18-16
    |

    Any of
    hhmm hrs
    hh:mm hrs
    hh:mm hours
    hh:mm h
    hh:mm
    hh.mm
    hh-mm
    18:11

    I dunno how you got from 11 minutes past to 16 minutes past.

    | Does it vary between being written by a word processor and by hand?

    I noted that you are NOT referring to computer conventions of any sort.

    | See below.
    |
    | (2) What is the correct way to write a decimal point?

    Is that by ballpoint, fountain pen, pencil, chalkstick, typewriter, on a
    barn door,
    on paper, in a movie, or some other media? Some people simply stab the
    implement,
    others write a tiny circle.


    | I am English
    | and that means that a comma is not the correct symbol for the decomal
    | point.

    I am part Welsh, part English, but that doesn't prevent me from reading
    Deutsch (I don't speak it well, though).
    "Beispiele ähnlicher Art, sowie die mißlungenen Versuche, eine Bewegung
    der Erde relativ ..."

    | But ISTR that when the decimal point was written by hand it was in
    | the air about half the height of the digits. Typewriters and word
    | prorcessors did not offer that half-way character so a full stop was
    | used. But is it more correct to handwrite the decimal point as half
    | way up the height of the digits?

    Err... yes.
    Oops, I used three decimal points as periods (or as full stops) together as
    an ellipsis.
    http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/ellipsis
    I wonder if you'll see the difference? The spacing between the dots isn't
    quite right.

    Get over your hang-up, all you really need is to be understood and
    English is known worldwide. Those that pretend not to understand are trolls,
    those that do not understand are either morons or simply uneducated. Learn
    their language or wait until they learn English. In the meantime continue
    to write in English.
    Androcles

    |
    |
    | --
    |
    | posted to 3 groups whose members probably
    | need to be accurate about time recording
    The Sorcerer, May 27, 2006
    #8
  9. Alex Coleman

    Sam Wormley Guest

    Alex Coleman wrote:
    > On 27 May 2006, Sam Wormley<> wrote:
    >>
    >>Sat May 27 15:32:17 UTC 2006
    >>
    >>15:32
    >>

    >
    > You would not put in "hours" or "hrs" then to qualify "15:32"?


    Why complicate it... one typically knows what it mean from the
    context in which it is used.
    Sam Wormley, May 27, 2006
    #9
  10. On Sat, 27 May 2006 17:45:03 GMT, wrote:

    >24 hour time is not relevant at all to most people.


    Depends on how you define "most people".
    You may be right as long as you stick to your island :)

    The "rest of the world" uses 24 hours time :)

    17:45:03 GMT

    HTH.
    C.
    Charles D. Bohne, May 27, 2006
    #10
  11. Alex Coleman

    Guest

    In sci.physics Charles D. Bohne <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 May 2006 17:45:03 GMT, wrote:


    > >24 hour time is not relevant at all to most people.


    > Depends on how you define "most people".


    The majority of the people in a civilian supermarket, shopping mall or
    movie theater.

    Start asking people at random after noon what time it is.

    How many respond in 24 hour time?

    > You may be right as long as you stick to your island :)


    > The "rest of the world" uses 24 hours time :)


    > 17:45:03 GMT


    > HTH.
    > C.


    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.
    , May 27, 2006
    #11
  12. Alex Coleman

    The Sorcerer Guest

    "Jan Panteltje" <> wrote in message
    news:e5a555$pe$...
    | On a sunny day (Sat, 27 May 2006 16:24:09 +0100) it happened Alex Coleman
    | <> wrote in <Xns97D0A6DB6CBFB71F3M4@127.0.0.1>:
    |
    | >QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what is
    | >the correct format?
    |
    | 18:16 hr

    Typical... Five minutes in error.
    18:11 hr
    The Sorcerer, May 27, 2006
    #12
  13. On Sat, 27 May 2006 20:05:01 GMT, wrote:

    >> Depends on how you define "most people".

    >
    >The majority of the people in a civilian supermarket, shopping mall or
    >movie theater.
    >

    I don't know for sure what country YOU live in. And what you mean by
    "civilian" ;-).

    >Start asking people at random after noon what time it is.
    >

    Did that all my life ...

    >How many respond in 24 hour time?
    >

    60 to 80 percent (in this part of the world).

    German rule*) is the use of one point and the word "Uhr"
    e.g. 17.30 Uhr , or 19.20 Uhr, 23.45 Uhr
    in any written text.

    C.

    *) Includes Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg ...
    and a couple of other European countries. The word "Uhr"
    may vary according to the local language.

    And yes, I know that Americans think that's just for use
    in the military :->
    Charles D. Bohne, May 27, 2006
    #13
  14. Alex Coleman

    Art Deco Guest

    Charles D. Bohne <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 May 2006 20:05:01 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>> Depends on how you define "most people".

    >>
    >>The majority of the people in a civilian supermarket, shopping mall or
    >>movie theater.
    >>

    >I don't know for sure what country YOU live in. And what you mean by
    >"civilian" ;-).
    >
    >>Start asking people at random after noon what time it is.
    >>

    >Did that all my life ...
    >
    >>How many respond in 24 hour time?
    >>

    >60 to 80 percent (in this part of the world).
    >
    >German rule*) is the use of one point and the word "Uhr"
    >e.g. 17.30 Uhr , or 19.20 Uhr, 23.45 Uhr
    >in any written text.
    >
    >C.
    >
    >*) Includes Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg ...
    >and a couple of other European countries. The word "Uhr"
    >may vary according to the local language.
    >
    >And yes, I know that Americans think that's just for use
    >in the military :->


    And your anti-American bigotry has led you to another false conclusion,
    Chu*k.

    --
    Official Associate AFA-B Vote Rustler
    Official Overseer of Kooks and Saucerheads in alt.astronomy
    Co-Winner, alt.(f)lame Worst Flame War, December 2005

    "And without accurate measuring techniques, how can they even
    *call* quantum theory a "scientific" one? How can it possibly
    be referred to as a "fundamental branch of physics"?"
    -- Painsnuh the Lamer

    "Well, orientals moved to the U.S. and did amazingly well on
    their own, and the races are related (brown)."
    -- "Honest" John pontificates on racial purity
    Art Deco, May 28, 2006
    #14
  15. Charles D. Bohne, May 28, 2006
    #15
  16. Alex Coleman

    krw Guest

    In article <4B3eg.225909$>,
    _f says...
    >
    > "Jan Panteltje" <> wrote in message
    > news:e5a555$pe$...
    > | On a sunny day (Sat, 27 May 2006 16:24:09 +0100) it happened Alex Coleman
    > | <> wrote in <Xns97D0A6DB6CBFB71F3M4@127.0.0.1>:
    > |
    > | >QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what is
    > | >the correct format?
    > |
    > | 18:16 hr
    >
    > Typical... Five minutes in error.
    > 18:11 hr


    I was wondering when someone would pick up the troll.

    --

    Keith
    krw, May 28, 2006
    #16
  17. Alex Coleman

    The Sorcerer Guest

    "krw" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | In article <4B3eg.225909$>,
    | _f says...
    | >
    | > "Jan Panteltje" <> wrote in message
    | > news:e5a555$pe$...
    | > | On a sunny day (Sat, 27 May 2006 16:24:09 +0100) it happened Alex
    Coleman
    | > | <> wrote in <Xns97D0A6DB6CBFB71F3M4@127.0.0.1>:
    | > |
    | > | >QUESTION: If it is 11 minutes past six in the evening then what is
    | > | >the correct format?
    | > |
    | > | 18:16 hr
    | >
    | > Typical... Five minutes in error.
    | > 18:11 hr
    |
    | I was wondering when someone would pick up the troll.

    They do not pay attention to detail.
    This is a more serious and costly trawl by the worst troll:
    http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DominoEffect.GIF
    Androcles.



    | --
    |
    | Keith
    The Sorcerer, May 28, 2006
    #17
  18. Alex Coleman

    Alex Coleman Guest

    On 27 May 2006, <> wrote:

    > In sci.physics Alex Coleman <> wrote:
    >> [...]

    >
    > Then you are SOL since "layman" don't use 24 hour time and it

    confuses
    > most of them.
    >
    >> [...]

    >
    > 24 hour time is not relevant at all to most people.
    >
    > For those that it is, I gave you the convention.
    >
    > For a time to be meaningful to geographically separated people, you
    > also need to account for time zones. Those too confuse "layman".
    >


    Here in Europe we use 24 hour time a great deal.

    Laymen and even old ladies both use it.

    If you make a contention that applies only to the US then that's ok
    but that is not where I live.
    Alex Coleman, May 30, 2006
    #18
  19. It's been .761 days since midnight.

    Hi Alex_Coleman,

    For myself, I write 18 hours 16 minutes after midnight as 6.16 P.
    If it was something that happened 18 hours 16 minutes ago,
    I write it as .761 days... ( 18 + 16 / 60 ) / 24 .
    Jeff…Relf, May 30, 2006
    #19
  20. On Tue, 30 May 2006 09:17:21 GMT, Jan Panteltje
    <> wrote:

    >Wel, i did some introspection, as European, if in the Netherlands at
    >say 16:48h somebody askes you 'what time is it' (in Dutch: Weet U ook
    >hoe laat het is?), I would reply with '12 voor 5' (12 to five).
    >Because of the context people usually KNOW if it is morning or evening.


    Maybe - but you wouldn't do that on the phone with someone calling from
    "het buitenland" :)

    C.
    Charles D. Bohne, May 30, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. logjam

    Correct way to drive a pulsed LED

    logjam, Jan 5, 2006, in forum: Electronic Basics
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    369
    Don Klipstein
    Jan 17, 2006
  2. aussiblu
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,133
    Luke O'Zade
    Jan 17, 2009
  3. Glenn Ashmore

    20 hour vs. 50 hour battery rating

    Glenn Ashmore, Dec 25, 2006, in forum: Boat Electronics
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    350
    Glenn Ashmore
    Dec 25, 2006
  4. shaheen
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    963
    rob_croxford
    Oct 26, 2010
  5. podface

    24 hour time delay circuit

    podface, Apr 14, 2011, in forum: Electronic Projects
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,493
    podface
    Apr 19, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page