Asbestos in electronic components

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Deefoo, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Deefoo

    Deefoo Guest

    You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of asbestos.
    Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.

    The company I work for makes military equipement and now I have been asked
    to certify that the electronics we produce is free of asbestos. Sigh...

    Well, I guess there is no asbestos in the components we use, but I am not
    100% sure. Before I certify anything, does anyone know of asbestos in
    electronic components? NEC for one mentions on their website that their
    products do not contain asbestos (but we don't use NEC). There seem to exist
    asbestos resistors but I guess if any asbestos is used it will be found in
    high-temperature stuff (which we don't use).

    <rant>
    Electronics is full of stuff bad for our health (beryllium, lead, whatever),
    so who cares about asbestos. Oh, how I hate public (as is media) opinion.
    Next is probably certifying that our products have never been in contact
    with birds.
    </rant>

    Thanks for your help,
    --DF
     
    Deefoo, Mar 7, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Deefoo wrote:

    > You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    > scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of asbestos.
    > Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.
    >
    > The company I work for makes military equipement and now I have been asked
    > to certify that the electronics we produce is free of asbestos. Sigh...
    >
    > Well, I guess there is no asbestos in the components we use, but I am not
    > 100% sure. Before I certify anything, does anyone know of asbestos in
    > electronic components? NEC for one mentions on their website that their
    > products do not contain asbestos (but we don't use NEC). There seem to exist
    > asbestos resistors but I guess if any asbestos is used it will be found in
    > high-temperature stuff (which we don't use).
    >
    > <rant>
    > Electronics is full of stuff bad for our health (beryllium, lead, whatever),
    > so who cares about asbestos. Oh, how I hate public (as is media) opinion.
    > Next is probably certifying that our products have never been in contact
    > with birds.
    > </rant>



    You best tell them this subject needs some research
    in the order of a few months.

    Rene
     
    Rene Tschaggelar, Mar 7, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Deefoo

    John B Guest

    On 07/03/2006 the venerable Deefoo etched in runes:

    ..
    ..
    > <rant>

    ..
    ..
    > Next is probably certifying that our products have never been in contact
    > with birds.
    > </rant>


    It sounds to me as though your equipment has already been in contact with a management turkey! >:-}


    --
    John B

    Delete 'spam blocker' to reply direct
     
    John B, Mar 7, 2006
    #3
  4. John B wrote:

    > On 07/03/2006 the venerable Deefoo etched in runes:
    >
    > .
    > .
    >
    >><rant>

    >
    > .
    > .
    >
    >>Next is probably certifying that our products have never been in contact
    >>with birds.
    >></rant>

    >
    >
    > It sounds to me as though your equipment has already been in contact
    >with a management turkey! >:-}
    >
    >


    Yep, before it goes to the dump, I'll pay the scrap value.

    Rene
     
    Rene Tschaggelar, Mar 7, 2006
    #4
  5. Deefoo

    Ken Taylor Guest

    "Deefoo" <> wrote in message
    news:440d5981$0$21257$...
    > You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    > scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of

    asbestos.
    > Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.
    >
    > The company I work for makes military equipement and now I have been asked
    > to certify that the electronics we produce is free of asbestos. Sigh...
    >
    > Well, I guess there is no asbestos in the components we use, but I am not
    > 100% sure. Before I certify anything, does anyone know of asbestos in
    > electronic components? NEC for one mentions on their website that their
    > products do not contain asbestos (but we don't use NEC). There seem to

    exist
    > asbestos resistors but I guess if any asbestos is used it will be found in
    > high-temperature stuff (which we don't use).
    >
    > <rant>
    > Electronics is full of stuff bad for our health (beryllium, lead,

    whatever),
    > so who cares about asbestos. Oh, how I hate public (as is media) opinion.
    > Next is probably certifying that our products have never been in contact
    > with birds.
    > </rant>
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > --DF
    >
    >

    People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good reason.
    However the idea that there might be asbestos in electronic components is
    bizarre, if not just patently absurd. Plenty of other lethal crap, as
    someone pointed out, but not that one.

    Ken
     
    Ken Taylor, Mar 8, 2006
    #5
  6. Deefoo

    Guest

    > People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good reason.
    > However the idea that there might be asbestos in electronic components is
    > bizarre, if not just patently absurd. Plenty of other lethal crap, as
    > someone pointed out, but not that one.


    How confident are you that fiberglass is safe?

    I don't particularly care to be around when it is cut, drilled, or
    especially routed.
     
    , Mar 8, 2006
    #6
  7. Deefoo

    Paul Burke Guest

    wrote:

    > How confident are you that fiberglass is safe?


    No one gives a toss how SAFE it is, just whether it's legal and not on
    the list of banned substances. It's not about safety, it's about
    protection of someone's arse.

    Paul Burke
     
    Paul Burke, Mar 8, 2006
    #7
  8. Deefoo

    Ken Taylor Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > > People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good

    reason.
    > > However the idea that there might be asbestos in electronic components

    is
    > > bizarre, if not just patently absurd. Plenty of other lethal crap, as
    > > someone pointed out, but not that one.

    >
    > How confident are you that fiberglass is safe?
    >
    > I don't particularly care to be around when it is cut, drilled, or
    > especially routed.
    >

    Why is that relevant?

    Ken
     
    Ken Taylor, Mar 8, 2006
    #8
  9. On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    > "Deefoo" <> wrote in message


    >> You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    >> scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of

    > asbestos.
    >> Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.


    > People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    > reason.


    Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole theater
    curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!

    The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    they can scare children with.

    But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.

    Cheers!
    Rich
    --
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
     
    Richard the Dreaded Libertarian, Mar 8, 2006
    #9
  10. "Richard the Dreaded Libertarian" <> wrote in
    message news:p...
    > On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    >> "Deefoo" <> wrote in message

    >
    >>> You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    >>> scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of

    >> asbestos.
    >>> Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.

    >
    >> People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    >> reason.

    >
    > Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    > or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole
    > theater
    > curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    > fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!
    >
    > The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    > like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    > they can scare children with.
    >
    > But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.
    >
    > Cheers!

    There is rather more too it than that. The theatre curtains, in common
    with the oil lamp wicks used by the vestal virgins, used the long strand
    asbestos form (commonly crocidolite). This is the least problematical
    form, and indeed in some circumstances (wet in particular), may be
    considered
    fairly 'safe', if handled with care (I'd personally still want to use a
    mask, but the risk is several orders of magnitude 'below' that from the
    other forms). Unfortunately, in insulation applications, the relative cost
    of this, led to much of the short strand forms being used. The worst of
    these, was amosite, and this stuff really is foul....

    Best Wishes
     
    Roger Hamlett, Mar 8, 2006
    #10
  11. On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, the renowned "Ken Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good reason.
    >However the idea that there might be asbestos in electronic components is
    >bizarre, if not just patently absurd. Plenty of other lethal crap, as
    >someone pointed out, but not that one.
    >
    >Ken
    >


    They used to use asbestos-insulated wire for high temperatures (eg.
    for thermocouple extension wire in industrial furnaces). I think it's
    mostly ceramic fiber these days, but I bet there are a bunch of dusty
    rolls of it around.


    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
    --
    "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward"
    Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
    Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
     
    Spehro Pefhany, Mar 8, 2006
    #11
  12. Deefoo

    Guest

    Roger Hamlett wrote:
    > > As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole
    > > theater
    > > curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    > > fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!


    > There is rather more too it than that. The theatre curtains, in common
    > with the oil lamp wicks used by the vestal virgins, used the long strand
    > asbestos form (commonly crocidolite). This is the least problematical
    > form


    Also on the theater curtains, likely not the curtain you see, but
    rather a special fire curtain that stays rolled up out of sight, until
    someone pulls it's deployment rope in an emergency. The idea is to
    isolate the audience area from whatever light/special effect/etc just
    blew up on stage.

    The implication is that the asbestos fabric curtain isn't getting waved
    about opening and closing on a daily basis - it's rolled up fairly safe
    and immobile until needed... or accidentally deployed.
     
    , Mar 8, 2006
    #12
  13. Deefoo

    Deefoo Guest

    "Richard the Dreaded Libertarian" <> wrote in
    message news:p...
    > On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    > > "Deefoo" <> wrote in message

    >
    > >> You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    > >> scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of

    > > asbestos.
    > >> Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.

    >
    > > People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    > > reason.

    >
    > Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    > or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole theater
    > curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    > fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!
    >
    > The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    > like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    > they can scare children with.
    >
    > But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Rich
    > --
    > "We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum


    I've been told that there are asbestos beaches on Corsica. People get killed
    on these beaches, not because of the asbestos fibers, but because they get
    slammed on it when the sea is high...

    --DF
     
    Deefoo, Mar 8, 2006
    #13
  14. Deefoo

    Ken Taylor Guest

    Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    >
    >>"Deefoo" <> wrote in message

    >
    >
    >>>You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    >>>scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of

    >>
    >>asbestos.
    >>
    >>>Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.

    >
    >
    >>People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    >>reason.

    >
    >
    > Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    > or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole theater
    > curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    > fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!
    >
    > The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    > like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    > they can scare children with.
    >
    > But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Rich


    Bullshit and bullshit. Okay, so I'm under 90 and 10 years isn't too
    long, but when I entered the workforce about 30 years ago buildings were
    being stripped of asbestos *very carefully* back in Australia. The
    effects of asbestos were well known by then - the result of studies of
    the effects of the stuff on miners and people living around them. (This
    in Australia - I can remember even earlier than entering the workforce
    seeing a BBC documentary on the effects of asbestos on people in a
    manufacturing plant in England, and how it was affecting people in the
    surrounding towns.

    "Common sense" isn't.

    Ken
     
    Ken Taylor, Mar 8, 2006
    #14
  15. Deefoo

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:16:31 +1300, Ken Taylor <>
    wrote:

    >Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Deefoo" <> wrote in message

    >>
    >>
    >>>>You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    >>>>scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of
    >>>
    >>>asbestos.
    >>>
    >>>>Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.

    >>
    >>
    >>>People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    >>>reason.

    >>
    >>
    >> Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    >> or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole theater
    >> curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    >> fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!
    >>
    >> The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    >> like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    >> they can scare children with.
    >>
    >> But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >> Rich

    >
    >Bullshit and bullshit. Okay, so I'm under 90 and 10 years isn't too
    >long, but when I entered the workforce about 30 years ago buildings were
    >being stripped of asbestos *very carefully* back in Australia. The
    >effects of asbestos were well known by then - the result of studies of
    >the effects of the stuff on miners and people living around them. (This
    >in Australia - I can remember even earlier than entering the workforce
    >seeing a BBC documentary on the effects of asbestos on people in a
    >manufacturing plant in England, and how it was affecting people in the
    >surrounding towns.
    >
    >"Common sense" isn't.
    >
    >Ken


    But it IS/WAS hysteria. INSTALLED asbestos poses virtually NO threat.
    However it is potentially dangerous to mine workers and installers.

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
    | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
    | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
    | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
    | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

    It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
     
    Jim Thompson, Mar 8, 2006
    #15
  16. Deefoo

    Ken Taylor Guest

    Jim Thompson wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:16:31 +1300, Ken Taylor <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>"Deefoo" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>>You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    >>>>>scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of
    >>>>
    >>>>asbestos.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    >>>>reason.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    >>>or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole theater
    >>>curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    >>>fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!
    >>>
    >>>The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    >>>like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    >>>they can scare children with.
    >>>
    >>>But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers!
    >>>Rich

    >>
    >>Bullshit and bullshit. Okay, so I'm under 90 and 10 years isn't too
    >>long, but when I entered the workforce about 30 years ago buildings were
    >>being stripped of asbestos *very carefully* back in Australia. The
    >>effects of asbestos were well known by then - the result of studies of
    >>the effects of the stuff on miners and people living around them. (This
    >>in Australia - I can remember even earlier than entering the workforce
    >>seeing a BBC documentary on the effects of asbestos on people in a
    >>manufacturing plant in England, and how it was affecting people in the
    >>surrounding towns.
    >>
    >>"Common sense" isn't.
    >>
    >>Ken

    >
    >
    > But it IS/WAS hysteria. INSTALLED asbestos poses virtually NO threat.
    > However it is potentially dangerous to mine workers and installers.
    >
    > ...Jim Thompson

    It's hysteria if taken to extremes (and maybe it is in places), however
    down this way (Australia/New Zealand) the reg's say leave it if it's
    there, remove/replace it properly/safely if it's damaged or has to be
    worked on. The stuff is dangerous if buggered about with, which is
    unfortunately what people love to do with things, so it makes sense to
    get rid of it in an orderly fashion.

    OP's post indicates a nonsense reaction by clerical arse-coverers and
    he's lumped with the impossible task of saying something is 100% safe.
    Not my pick of jobs. :(

    Ken
     
    Ken Taylor, Mar 8, 2006
    #16
  17. Jim Thompson wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:16:31 +1300, Ken Taylor <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>"Deefoo" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>>You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    >>>>>scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of
    >>>>
    >>>>asbestos.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    >>>>reason.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    >>>or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole theater
    >>>curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    >>>fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!
    >>>
    >>>The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    >>>like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    >>>they can scare children with.
    >>>
    >>>But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers!
    >>>Rich

    >>
    >>Bullshit and bullshit. Okay, so I'm under 90 and 10 years isn't too
    >>long, but when I entered the workforce about 30 years ago buildings were
    >>being stripped of asbestos *very carefully* back in Australia. The
    >>effects of asbestos were well known by then - the result of studies of
    >>the effects of the stuff on miners and people living around them. (This
    >>in Australia - I can remember even earlier than entering the workforce
    >>seeing a BBC documentary on the effects of asbestos on people in a
    >>manufacturing plant in England, and how it was affecting people in the
    >>surrounding towns.
    >>
    >>"Common sense" isn't.
    >>
    >>Ken

    >
    >
    > But it IS/WAS hysteria. INSTALLED asbestos poses virtually NO threat.
    > However it is potentially dangerous to mine workers and installers.
    >
    > ...Jim Thompson

    Yep, if you just leave it there, it is great, environmentally friendly,
    and a good fireproof insulator. From what I understand, the really
    carcinogenic stuff was only from a few places in Africa, but the stuff
    normally used is safe. However, when it came to legislating about it,
    it was too difficult for the congress critters and envirowhackos to
    understand that there were DIFFERENT KINDS of asbestos, so they just
    banned all of it...

    Charlie
     
    Charlie Edmondson, Mar 8, 2006
    #17
  18. Deefoo

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:15:35 -0800, Charlie Edmondson
    <> wrote:

    >Jim Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:16:31 +1300, Ken Taylor <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:34:27 +1300, Ken Taylor wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>"Deefoo" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>>You may have heard of the problems the French government has with the
    >>>>>>scrapping of their obsolete aircraft carrier Clemenceau because of
    >>>>>
    >>>>>asbestos.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>Now everybody is afraid of asbestos.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>People have been afraid of asbestos for a long time, and with good
    >>>>>reason.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Oh, bullshit and bullshit. Unless you're so young that to you, "10 years
    >>>>or so" is a "long time". As recently as 30 or 40 years ago, whole theater
    >>>>curtains were made of asbestos, and they were proud of it - if there's a
    >>>>fire in a crowded theater, you don't want the curtain contributing!
    >>>>
    >>>>The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    >>>>like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    >>>>they can scare children with.
    >>>>
    >>>>But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.
    >>>>
    >>>>Cheers!
    >>>>Rich
    >>>
    >>>Bullshit and bullshit. Okay, so I'm under 90 and 10 years isn't too
    >>>long, but when I entered the workforce about 30 years ago buildings were
    >>>being stripped of asbestos *very carefully* back in Australia. The
    >>>effects of asbestos were well known by then - the result of studies of
    >>>the effects of the stuff on miners and people living around them. (This
    >>>in Australia - I can remember even earlier than entering the workforce
    >>>seeing a BBC documentary on the effects of asbestos on people in a
    >>>manufacturing plant in England, and how it was affecting people in the
    >>>surrounding towns.
    >>>
    >>>"Common sense" isn't.
    >>>
    >>>Ken

    >>
    >>
    >> But it IS/WAS hysteria. INSTALLED asbestos poses virtually NO threat.
    >> However it is potentially dangerous to mine workers and installers.
    >>
    >> ...Jim Thompson

    >Yep, if you just leave it there, it is great, environmentally friendly,
    >and a good fireproof insulator. From what I understand, the really
    >carcinogenic stuff was only from a few places in Africa, but the stuff
    >normally used is safe. However, when it came to legislating about it,
    >it was too difficult for the congress critters and envirowhackos to
    >understand that there were DIFFERENT KINDS of asbestos, so they just
    >banned all of it...
    >
    >Charlie


    Arizona is full of "flocked" ceilings (asbestos mixed with plaster)
    with excellent thermal and acoustic insulating properties. It is
    easily 'neutered" by spray-painting it, but you lose some of the
    acoustic noise reduction in the process.

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
    | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
    | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
    | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
    | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

    It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
     
    Jim Thompson, Mar 8, 2006
    #18
  19. Deefoo

    SioL Guest

    "Richard the Dreaded Libertarian" <> wrote in message

    > The asbestos hysteria has the same roots as all the other boogeymen,
    > like global warming, the ozone hole, smoking, terrorism, drugs; anything
    > they can scare children with.
    >
    > But it has nothing whatsoever to do with common sense.


    I disagree. Coincidentally I just found this by accident yesterday, its a good read.

    http://reports.eea.eu.int/environmental_issue_report_2001_22/en/Issue_Report_No_22.pdf

    Talks about the many poisons of the modern age and the many decades it usually took
    to realize the damage and ban their use.

    Talks about azbestos, PCB, DES, hormones, ozone hole and other topics.
    Contains a nice historic overview, I just skimmed through it for an hour or so.
    Plenty of references, too.

    --
    Siol
    ------------------------------------------------
    Rather than a heartless beep
    Or a rude error message,
    See these simple words: "File not found."
     
    SioL, Mar 8, 2006
    #19
  20. On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:15:35 -0800, the renowned Charlie Edmondson
    <> wrote:

    >Yep, if you just leave it there, it is great, environmentally friendly,
    >and a good fireproof insulator. From what I understand, the really
    >carcinogenic stuff was only from a few places in Africa, but the stuff
    >normally used is safe. However, when it came to legislating about it,
    >it was too difficult for the congress critters and envirowhackos to
    >understand that there were DIFFERENT KINDS of asbestos, so they just
    >banned all of it...
    >
    >Charlie


    Probably due to the appalling working conditions in South African
    mines and mining towns.

    "The dust was everywhere. It lay up to an inch thick. There were no
    warnings, nothing. Children played in it. I lived half a kilometre
    from the factory but in order to drink I had to scrape a layer of
    asbestos off the top of my water jar."


    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
    --
    "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward"
    Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
    Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
     
    Spehro Pefhany, Mar 8, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Richie

    Asbestos in circuit boards.

    Richie, Jun 4, 2004, in forum: General Electronics
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,668
    WDino
    Jun 7, 2004
  2. Cason

    Electronic Components

    Cason, Jul 8, 2004, in forum: General Electronics
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    383
    Robert Baer
    Jul 9, 2004
  3. j4m4l_$

    Buying electronic components online?

    j4m4l_$, Jul 10, 2004, in forum: General Electronics
    Replies:
    32
    Views:
    1,115
    John Miller
    Jul 28, 2004
  4. Patrick Cheung - townt.com

    RE : Looking for obselted components or other components

    Patrick Cheung - townt.com, Sep 22, 2005, in forum: Hobby Electronics
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    522
    Patrick Cheung - townt.com
    Sep 22, 2005
  5. Bakelite Asbestos

    , Feb 10, 2011, in forum: Electronic Repair
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    899
Loading...

Share This Page