Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple Questions for led tv Backlight

quarkrad

Apr 11, 2024
Newbie so apologies if these are simple/basic questions. I want to put a rgb strip around the back of the tv. I believe a 5050 or ws2812b strip is sufficient with a 30 led/m density. Advise seems to be using corner connectors rather than looping the strip but in my very limited experience these connectors are cheap and unreliable. Looks to me I can use a usb connector on the tv to power the strip but I'm not not sure about the hand held controller - I believe most of these are line-of-sight working. So ... I am right in thinking for a back-light tv install I would need some sort of wireless controller and receiver for it to work? There seem to be quite a few 'very cheap' kits available or I can buy each bit separately - not sure if these kit are 'a waste of money' or whether this type of install is very basic and these cheap kits are ok. Also, it seems using strip sticky clips as well as relying on just the sticky back is advisable. Any advise appreciated.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Installing LED backlight is not as straightforward as you apparently think.
Might be a good move for you to watch a few Youtube videos on the subject to see what I mean.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Installing LED backlight is not as straightforward as you apparently think.
@Bluejets : could this be based on a misunderstanding? In my understanding the op doesn't want to install a backlight as the primary illumination of the LCD screen. What he envisions is an RGB LED strip at the back of the TV/monitor that lights the wall in varying colors like so. That is much more easy than replacing the backlight of the LCD itself.

Looks to me I can use a usb connector on the tv to power the strip
If your LED strip is 5 V, then yes. But you have to observe the current required by the LEDs and the current delivered by the USB power supply. A USB connector is designed for 3 A max. It is not designed for higher currents.

quarkrad

Apr 11, 2024
Apologies - my bad terminology. I do mean the led strips at the back of the TV. Thank you for the current rating - had not thought of that. I guess my key question is the wireless bit. Seems most of these controllers work on line-of-sight so these will not work if place on the rear of the tv. I think I'm looking for:
3m strip (5050 or equiv) rgb
30 led/m
wireless controller with usb connector (taking into account the comment about current rating for strip type)
wireless hand controller to communicate with controller on back of tv

Thank you.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, most are ‘line of sight’.
I have my controller at the bottom of the TV. I only have about 15mm gap at the bottom so I velcroed the controller on the back but sticking down enough for the remote to work. Mine do work on the TVs USB and draw under 1.5A.
I did however have to diffuse the strip going around the TV as it was too bright. I simply rolled some thin foam that was a packing material around the strip.
Self adhesive clips work great.

Martin