Maker Pro
Maker Pro

External Computer Monitor not powering up

Jord1125

Jan 13, 2024
Hi,

I’m new here and am quite desperate for help - Would really appreciate if someone can give we some advice on fixing a broken monitor. It’s widescreen curved Electriq monitor which is out of warranty and the manufacturer says they won’t repair.

Here’s what happened: I plugged in a (probabaly to powerful) power supply into a USB-C in my laptop and the cable connecting the computer to the screen (again via USB-C) started sparking so I quickly unplugged it… It left burnt residue on the port. The screen turned on for a few days but now won’t even turn on. I’ve checked the fuse in the plug, taken apart the monitor and I can’t see anything on on the circuit board or the ‘power board’ (?) that is burnt or disconnected? And the capacitors look fine. Here are pictures.

Any advice on what else I can check much appreciated! Or even just say it’s game over :(

Thanks in advance

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Don't use Google drive - upload pics direct to this site please.

Jord1125

Jan 13, 2024
Hi kellys_eye - No problem. Images below. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6539.PNG
    IMG_6539.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6538.PNG
    IMG_6538.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6535.png
    IMG_6535.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6534 (2).png
    IMG_6534 (2).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
For starters, I would not consider any usb cable capable of supplying power to any large screen monitor.

The sparking points towards being some indifference between the 2 usb cables which I imagine should not have been used anyhow.

First photo shows an IDC plug for power...why did you not use that as I'm sure it was designed to be powered from there.

Sparking, smoke, burning, all points to a dead monitor probably beyond repair cost wise.

Jord1125

Jan 13, 2024
Hi Bluejets thanks for the reply.

Apologies if not clear above. The monitor was supplied by a seperate power supply but the USB-C joined the monitor and computer (via a USB-C to HDMI adapter).

The sparking came between the USB-C laptop port and HDMI adapter rather than on the monitor itself. Do you think this would mean that the the most likely issue is that the motherboard board in the monitor is fried? (The laptop, quite unbelievably, works fine by the way).

Thanks